Mortgage Documents

This is a list of the most commonly requested mortgage documents. Click each one to see an explanation. If you have any questions please reach out.


Two (2) pieces of identification

Every Borrower

Lenders require two pieces of ID for every applicant on the mortgage.

Primary Identification
Driver’s license (front and back), passport, certificate of Canadian citizenship, Canadian Armed Forces ID, NEXUS Card/FAST Express Card, or a document or card issued by either the provincial or federal government containing a photo and signature.

Secondary Identification
You must have at least one form of ID from the primary section. Acceptable secondary forms of ID include: Birth Certificate issued in Canada, Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada, Old Age Security Card issued by the Government of Canada, Signed Bank Card, Signed Credit Card, Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

Credit Authorization (Signed)

Every borrower

This is a document you’ll digitally sign to give me permission to check your credit report via Equifax and/or TransUnion.

List of Assets

Every Borrower

A simple, informal list of your assets to help strengthen your application. This can be provided in bullet point form or a spreadsheet, whichever is more convenient. The lender might ask for more details or a bank statement if it’s needed.

Sample list of assets

Divorce or Separation Agreement

Marital status is divorced/separated

An agreement between yourself and your former spouse/partner. If you don’t have it on file your lawyer should be able to provide this.


Notice of Assessment (NOA)

Every Borrower

An NOA is mailed to you by the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) each year after you file your taxes. This document indicates how much money you made for that year, how much you had to pay in taxes, and your current outstanding income taxes owed or the amount of your tax refund.

Where to get it
If you can’t find your paper copy, you can get your statement directly from the CRA website.

Pay Stub(s)

Borrower has employment income

If you’re an employee, the pay stub confirms ongoing employment and verifies your rate of pay. The pay stub should be your most recent (within the last 30 days). Make sure the document includes year to date figures, current deductions, and year to date deductions.

Letter of Employment

Borrower has employment income

The letter of employment (LOE) should be dated within 30 days and include your manager’s contact information. It needs to include the following details

  1. Start date
  2. Your position in the company
  3. How you’re paid (hourly, salary, commission, etc)
  4. Whether you’re off probation
  5. If your hours are guaranteed
  6. And if you’re full time, part time, contract or flex
T4 – Statement of Remuneration Paid

Borrower has employment income

The tax slips prepared by your employer. It includes what you have been paid before deductions. If you don’t have a copy, your employer will have a copy on file. Your T4’s are also available on the CRA website. 

T4A Slip

Borrower income is commission only or has pension / other income

You receive a T4a for ‘other income’ which includes commission, pension, retiring allowance. This is prepared by your employer or administrator.

T1 Income Tax Return (full)

Borrower has self-employed income

This is the form to complete your annual tax return. You likely have this on file. If you have an accountant they might be able to provide a copy.


MLS Listing (Realtor View)

Borrower has found a property

Your Realtor has a special view of the MLS with more detail that is found on the public-facing website. The lender needs the special Realtor version of the MLS.

Offer to Purchase (Signed)

Borrower has found a property

The contract between you and the sellers of the property. Your Realtor can provide this. If it’s a new build the developer can provide it.

Purchase Waiver

Borrower has found a property

When you remove all conditions you’ll sign a purchase waiver. Your Realtor can provide this.

90 Day Bank Statement

If cash assets used as down payment (savings, chequing, rrsp, investment)

Bank statements can be serve a number of purposes:

  1. Verify down payments and cash for closing costs
  2. Prove your income by showing pay checks being deposited into your bank
  3. Show other supporting deposits or expenses (e.g., for self employed individuals)
  4. Confirm gifted down payments have been received

It’s important your bank statements show your name, account number, full (unaltered) transaction history. If your down payment is in multiple accounts or has been transferred between accounts, a 90 day history is required for ALL accounts.

You can find these statements by logging into your online banking portal and download a monthly statement PDF.

Gift Letter

If your down payment is a gift from a family member,

This lender confirms an immediate family member is assisting you with a down payment. We will provide you with a template to complete.

The letter must include the following:

  1. Your name (as the gift recipient)
  2. Giver’s name, relationship to you and contact information
  3. The total amount
  4. validate the gift does not need to be repaid and is not from a third party interest in the property.

Gifts can’t come from just anybody

✅ Acceptable : Parents, Siblings. Children
⚠️  Maybe (with exception): Grandparents, Aunts or Uncles,
⛔️  Not accepted: Friends, Cousins, Spouses,

Other things to be aware of

  • The gifted down payment needs to be in Canada.
  • Gifts from outside of the country require more time, especially if we need to hire a translator.
  • Certain countries are restricted and therefore impossible to use for a source of down payment.
Confirmation of Gifted Funds Deposit

If down payment is a gift from a family member,

Proof the money has been deposited into your account. See the 90 day bank statement requirement.

Properties Owned

Mortgage Statement(s)

If holding a property with a mortgage

If you have any outstanding mortgages you need to provide a mortgage statement from your lender. It needs to show the lender name, your name, mortgage number, interest, payment, balance, maturity date.

If you don’t have a copy, you can obtain one via 1) your banks online portal or 2) by calling your mortgage holder’s customer service line.

Property Tax Statement(s)

If keeping a property currently owned

Each year at tax time the city will send you a property tax statement showing your property tax bill and amount owing/paid. The lender needs a copy for every property you own.

Sale Agreement

If selling a property currently owned

This is the contract to sell your current property. Your listing agent/Realtor should have a copy.

Sale Waiver

If selling a property currently owned

This is an addendum to the sale agreement confirming that the buyers have removed subjects and the sale is binding.

Rental Tenancy Agreement
If receiving rental income from a property / suite
If you currently rent a property you own, we need a copy of the agreement between you and the tenant.
Condo Board Letter
If keeping a property with strata fees
A letter that proves the monthly condo fees for your condo or townhouse. Your condo board or strata manager can provide this.